Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Post-Valentine-Super-Not-To-Do-It-Ever-Again Photos

This post, most especially the pictures (THE pictures! Ahahahaha), I am certain, wouldn’t pass facebook’s photo regulations that I can only publish it here in my blog. Mark Zuckerberg and his team, I imagine, can only jump with glee for being spared, yet again, from looking at and embedding these pictures permanently into the fb system.

Ahne and I swore that every time we would get the chance to travel to a foreign country in the future, we would make it a point to wear its national costume. So last February 15, we mustered up enough courage to finally go to a lanna studio (lanna is a northern Thai word referring to the language, culture, and traditions endemic to the region) in Chiang Mai and had our photos taken, wearing Thailand’s national costume.

Here’s an embarrassing anecdote. While we were scanning the photo album provided by the studio so that we can get to choose the color and the style that we wanted to be dolled up with, Ahne squeaked excitedly at me, saying, “Au, ‘eto oh! Bagay sa ‘yo to!” When I saw the skirt (without looking carefully at the upper piece), I didn’t have any second thoughts and pointed to the lady-in-charge that I wanted that specific costume. So, the lady ushered me into a room and took a long train of Thai silk, wrapped me with it, pinned at some specific points, turned the cloth around me again, and pinned some more.

When she said, set lew (Done!), I almost had a mini-panic attack when I realized that the style which I chose will be exposing my belly--- making me look like a newly hatched sirena! Ahahahaha! After several minutes of bargaining (because the lady apparently wanted the costume on me), she finally agreed to change the whole stuff and we both agreed to a modest, brilliant blue lanna instead---and thankfully, I was able to breathe normally again.

On normal days, I am the typical flat shoes and ponytail girl that just the thought that we went to a studio to have ourselves dolled up is enough reason for me to cringe and curl myself up because of embarrassment. I am so painfully awkward in make-up and gowns and costumes that it is evident in my creepy smiles in these photos. These photos were the source of our entertainment for several nights even! Ahahaha!

 These photos will surely find a way to haunt me in the future, I am certain. But, since sayang ang 500 baht, and since I am the only one who has the editorial rights to this blog (wink), here are the post-valentine-super-not-to-do-it-ever-again photos:

Disclaimer: If you have a weak stomach for gruesome images, do not scroll down any further. Ahahaha!


No comments:

Post a Comment