Saturday, August 16, 2014

On Poetry and a Whole Set of Quite Unfamiliar Words




“Don’t waste your words again on writing sad poetry,” he said.

At the back of my mind, I was actually screaming, “But I thrive in doing so!”

For how can you suddenly deal with a different set of words suddenly offered to you---like being offered a whole new set of vocabularies, when words such as angst, and cynicism, and senseless waiting, and unrequited emotions fit your literary Muse and your pen quite perfectly, like a pair of old, faded jeans?

“Your words are heartbreakingly beautiful but it’s about time you stop writing sad poetry.” Those words echoed through me again.

And I was struck.

I could have told him that I could no longer stop doing so, that there’s actually no need for me to stop writing poems loaded with angst and cynicism. For at this point, I couldn’t even write a sad poem, not even if I try---for all the words that my pen had been faithfully bleeding over the years are actually slowly being replaced by words such as tenderness, and constancy, and quite surprisingly, love.

No comments:

Post a Comment