Thursday, April 12, 2012

Let the (Water) War Begin!

HAPPY SONGKRAN FESTIVAL THAILAND!


This yearly event during the peak time of clicking hot days of April is like the new year celebration of Thai people. Instead of polka dots, people wear flowery clothes. Instead of blastering and shimmering-splendid fireworks display, the whole Thailand turns into a one, big battle field----with every people perfectly armed and geared for war, that is, water war so to speak.

This is like our San Juan festival in the Philippines, but the intensity is 10x that of our celebration. Everyone splashes water at just about anybody and when I say splashing of water, I don't mean sprinkling of water or that from the water guns only. Those are only reserved for the weaklings, hahahaha! When I say splashing, I mean, SPLASHING WITH A BUCKETFUL OF WATER! Sometimes, A BUCKETFUL OF ICE-COLD WATER! Being grouchy and grumpy is a BIG NO-NO. So, during these times, everyone is splashing and being splashed upon while happily giggling and laughing, and saying kapkun kah (thank you). If you do that in Pinas even though it's San Juan festival, you would even be in a grave danger of being slapped or shouted upon. So, for us first-timers, it's an exhilarating  and liberating feeling to splash water into friends and complete strangers without getting that  "go-to-hell" look. Plus, you wouldn't get strange looks from people while walking the crowded downtown streets when you're completely soaked with water since everyone is soaking wet anyway!

In my case, I tried to project the "don't mess with me" aura just to try if I can pull it through without getting splashed up to the clock tower. We passed by three groups of "splashers" and nobody even dared to point a water gun at me and inside, I was like SUPER gleeful while thinking: "Wohoo! Effective, gumagana!". 


But just after the third station, while my pride was a GAZILLION TIMES higher because of my plan working out perfectly, I felt a cold whip hitting my back and realizing that a bucketful of cold water was splashed on me---not at my face, but on my back (Patalikod kung tumira! hahaha)!

My plan was an EPIC FAIL. So there I was, dripping and nursing my bruised pride because it went gazooooooombiiiing downwards because of the fact that my PLAN FAILED (i-reiterate ba?). I wasn't spared after all, even with the don't-mess-with me look, and all!




So since being grumpy is OUTDATED , there I was dripping, shivering, with bruised pride, but definitely giggling. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment