Saturday, December 8, 2012

Day 5: Dear Mama Mary


Dear Mama Mary,

Today marks the day, thousands of years ago, when an angel appeared before you, proclaiming that God especially chose you to conceive His son, who later became our Saviour.

I can only imagine you being so young back then, younger than I am now. You were an expectant bride to Joseph, full of hopes and dreams for your future together. It might not have been written in the scriptures but you might had wedding jitters at that time----like all women who are about to be married go through. What went through your mind in the briefest seconds interval between the proclamation of the angel and when you gave your wholehearted yes? In that brief seconds, did your heart skip a beat? Did you even acknowledge a tinge of fear and hesitation? But those briefest-of-seconds-interval thoughts were all dimmed by your obedience to God’s will.

God did not make a wrong decision in choosing you among all women. You are definitely made of the sternest of stuffs to have been able to bear all the hardships that go with your acceptance of God’s will. 

Today, as we commemorate the Immaculate Conception, I try to put myself in your shoes. And judging from what I know about myself, I am not that resilient enough to go through what you had gone through. I may probably shake in fear and beg the angel to ask the Father to give me some more time to think.  I sometimes even  waver in my faith and there are moments when I question God’s plan. But like a lost child, I go back again and again to my Father who always welcomes me with my flaws and all. And that’s why you are so deserving to be the mother of God’s child and our mother as well-----your faith is so strong that it leaves no room for doubt.

Thank you for being our mother Mama Mary. You love each one of us equally, but I feel that my relationship with you is special and personal in itself. You have been an unfailing mediator of my prayers and a great comforter when God has different plans for me. And for the past two years, you have calmed my homesick heart and filled in my longing of home.

Please continue to guide me Mama Mary. Help me to grow in your love and in your unfailing mercy.


Love,
Au

No comments:

Post a Comment