Wednesday, August 24, 2011

The Yielding of the Narra Tree and the Fact That You Never Pursued




(to you, who never gets to read any of the numerous poems which are supposedly for you, but who instantly left)

Been listening to the cacophony
of the mechanical saw that
sadly, defeated the narra tree
that have seen many summer days,
defying its scorching heat
with its minute yellow blooms
that often replace the duty of the wilting grass
to give color and life to the embracing earth
at the front side of our yard.

The sound which bores itself
into my ears, moving inwardly,
drilling into my brain,
threatening to shatter it,
is in fact,
a blessing.

For this day which is meant
to be spent lamenting over
the fact that you came
and left as a shadow
(which I just realized the other day)----
that when you found out that
you're not yet about to lose yourself into the intoxicating smell
of the opium that is my emotion (and yours as well)
but to first, break an ivory tower,
cross a bridge, ride the roaring waves,
crash among the stars, you left------
was spent instead to bear the galling sound
of the saw machine, and distracted
me from tending and nursing
my bruised pride
(good, if it's just really in fact my bruised pride).

So along with the yielding of the
narra tree to the traitorous claws of
the saw which bruised and ripped not
only the fibers of its trunk,
but its quiet dignity and almost a decade of history,
I am quietly rejoicing,
for I was spared from yielding
to the pains of the claws of your retreat
which actually bruised and ripped out
the quiet dignity of my apparently,
unrequited emotions (for you) and
more than a decade of our assumed history.

No comments:

Post a Comment